Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Who A Quick One (Happy Jack)/Sell Out



I knew Magic Bus and My Generation, but when I hit High School, the kids were listening to Baba O’Reilly from Who’s Next, and Tommy (the movie soundtrack, not the original). By Numbers was out, but I didn’t really take to it.

 

 



Then came Who Are You at the start of my sophomore year. Licorice Pizza in Downey had a pretty good import section, and I bought the longer import version, which didn’t sensor the “Who the fuck are you?” line.

I alluded in another “12” post about the Wherehouse affiliate store, Big Ben and the Lakewood branch. In the cut-out bins, I came across this two record set, and in my mind, the two are very much linked together. It must have been a good price, and I knew I Can See For Miles so I plunked down the cash and found that I really enjoyed the early Who. Also in the bins was another two discer, Magic Bus/My Generation, which I’m surprised I didn’t buy as well, but I think I bought the imported The Story of the Who instead.

Tommy was long and convoluted, not really making any sense to me-deaf, dumb and blind kid? Really? And though I liked Elton John’s Pinball Wizard, and thought it was strange to see Ann Margret rolling around in beans, the Tommy Movie or the original Who version didn’t make much sense to me. I could follow Quadrophenia better, but not much better.

But the nine or so minutes of A Quick One (While He’s Away) made sense. Moon’s drumming drives home the story of the girl who’s been waiting for her man, get’s tired of waiting and takes up with Ivor the Engine Driver, then her man comes back, forgives the transgression, and everything’s good once more. The tempos and styles change quickly, and to me it represents everything that is the Who. I love the power chording of Townshed’s guitar and the bass runs from Entwhistle. The harmonies are far from perfect, which gives the song the feeling that anyone could shout along.

Cobwebs and Strange
, Moon’s contribution, seems to always creep into my head when I need an instrumental, and other songs, like So Sad About Us and Boris the Spider were immediate favorites.
From Sell Out, of course I Can See For Miles is a great Who song, but Tattoo, I Can’t Reach You, and Silas Stingy all contain classic early Who styling. Unlike the longer songs of later albums, these songs are short and to the point.

Keith Moon died while I was in high school, and Who Are You became a huge hit. I liked Trick of the Light and the title track, but it was the short songs of the early years (A Quick One is several short songs crammed together), that I always preferred. I must own four or five versions of A Quick One (While He’s Away)-the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus or the original studio version are my favorites. Early Who-that’s where the power is!

No comments:

Post a Comment