Friday, February 12, 2010

Music on the Web

Some of the more clever people out there discovered this long ago, but I'm new to the digital download party. There's tons of music out there! I do miss buying lp's, and later cd's, but now it's hard to get to the cd shop, and I have no storage space anymore. Plus, some of the stuff I really want never made the conversion to the digital age, or did so so briefly I missed it. I don't usually download music that I'm willing to buy, but I have no qualms downloading stuff that I can't get on eMusic, Amazon or iTunes. I figure if it isn't on one of those, it's not anywhere. Good luck on your internet music searches.

It all started about 2 years ago, when I decided that I wanted to find "Potatoes," a comp that was on the Ralph Records label. There w
Cover
ere a few songs that haunted me for years, and I couldn't find a digital copy.
But a google search led me to the WFMU blog. I highly recommend it. Lots of music, but lots of other stuff, too. That blog led me to Kogar's Jungle Juice.

Kogar the Swinging Ape is here in the blog world. His collections of Lux and Ivy's favorites are amazing compilations of obscure rock and roll sure to appeal to any Cramps fan.


So then I went about finding the Psychotic Pineapple's classic "I Wanna Wanna Wanna Wanna Wanna Wanna Wanna Get Rid of You," a single that I remember having back in high school. I'd play it whenever it was time to break up with someone. It was a simple song with a cheesy keyboard that I thought was great. I uncovered that when on the blog The Tuna Melt, which also had Gary Myrick's "She Talks in Stereo."



Other searches have led me to "Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg," Mick Jones's original mix of "Combat Rock," which is interesting, and "Chaos in New York," which seems to be a soundboard recording of one of their nights at Bonds in 1981 which is excellent. I found that on the blog, Iz Prve Ruke (Rick's note: April 29, 2013, Iz Prve Ruke is down).

One of the more interesting music blogs I came across is The Crime Lounge, which has most of the James Bond soundtracks, as well as many other soundtracks that fall into the secret agent/lounge music style.

The Crime Lounge
At the moment, I've got the 9 minute version of Buffalo Springfield's "Bluebird" playing that I just found by entering "Buffalo Springfield 9 minute Bluebird" on google. It led me to the blog Record Fiend. It sounds as awesome as I remember it
when I first heard it 30 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment