Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Aaron's Tacos-The Blue Light Diner

Aaron's Tacos-The Blue Light Diner
Chestnut and Thompson



I noticed this taco truck a few months back, and thought I'd give it a try. Though this is closer than the places on the Avenues, I'm not usually going down Thompson in the evening. It's actually in walking distance-a good quality for a place that really adds to my calorie count. I'm not sure what this food trailer calls itself. It says "Blue Light Diner" on the the baby blue menus and has blue lights all around, but the side of the truck reads "Aaron's Tacos." Since I do plan to go back, I'll ask the next time I'm there.

Driving up, there was a few ethnically, and socio economically (I've been taking a college extension class), diverse people eating. I found parking in the Tire Man parking lot where the trailer is located, and the smell emanating from the truck was enough to start my mouth watering. The trailer itself was a bit smaller than most, though it did seem exceptionally clean. Three guys were working inside, and all looked up and acknowledged me as I walked up to peak inside. Another was sweeping the lot and wiping down the outside counter.

At night, quesadillas always seem to be a good choice. Something about the hot cheese, I think. It's warming on a cool evening, and if there's some meat, all the better. Contrasted by a cool soda, it's comfort food, Mexican style.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Usually, I'd order a quesadilla with asada, but I wanted to mix it up a bit, and had saudero, which according to Wikipedia is brisket and the guys on the truck is meat from the ribs. It tasted like a better version of my wife's roast, and on the whole was pretty good-though I didn't notice on the menu that jalapeno's would be in the quesadilla, too. Between that and the green salsa, it was just a touch spicier than what I wanted. Good, though. My other knock is that for $6, it seemed smaller than other food truck quesadillas.

While I was standing at the counter outside, a young guy walked up and ordered a chicken taco and a bacon wrapped hot dog. I watched him eat the taco, which he seemed to like, and then his hot dog came up. It was $6 also, and was huge, a Nathan's sausage wrapped in a thick slice of bacon, bell peppers, grilled onions and jalapeno, and a full box of fries. The menu didn't give me any indication of the size, and I asked him to make sure it was just their menu bacon wrapped dog.

We then struck up a conversation, which the counter guy chimed in on when he wasn't working a customer. I asked how his hot dog was, and he said that it was good. He finished, and offered me his fries. 

Ordinarily, I wouldn't take food off a stranger's plate, but in the interest of this blog post, I went ahead and tried one. Then I had several more. Good fries, crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, lightly salted in what tasted like fresh oil.

And while I was watching, I saw what I wanted to order next time being prepared on the grill-Asada Fries. Asada Fries are french fries, cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream, jalapeno, salsa, and of course, asada. $6 as well, and a reason to go back.

They're open from 6 to Midnight, Tue-Thurs, and until 3 on Friday and Saturdays.


Sept. 28, 2013 Update

Stopped by again last night and this time just had a couple of tacos. I had lengua and asada-both were loaded with meat, grilled onions and cilantra, and both were very good.

And another thing-there's no tip jar.

October 5, 2013 Update

My son and I were hungry and tried the bacon wrapped hot dog. I watched as it was prepared, and my arteries immediately started to harden. They wrap bacon around the Nathan's hot dog, then deep fry it with the french fries for a short time. After the hot dogs are pulled out, they are split in half and grilled next to where the buns are being toasted in mayo. When the buns and dogs are pulled off the grill, the pico de gallo is also placed on the grill for a quick zap of heat, and then on to the dog it goes.

With the full tray of fries, it was a great deal for $6.





No comments:

Post a Comment