Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pete's Breakfast House, Ventura


Afternoon-No one in the lot
Pete’s Breakfast House
2055 E. Main
Ventura, CA 93001

Pete’s Breakfast House is a long time Ventura breakfast café, and I’ve never met anyone who has said anything bad about it. In fact, most people will tell you a favorite story, or list a favorite breakfast item. It’s also been featured on “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.”

If you aren’t familiar with Pete’s, everything I’ve ever had since I first went there 15 years ago is good. The food is served quickly, the servers are friendly, there’s free coffee for those waiting for a table, and on the weekend expect to wait. The restaurant occupies two store-fronts, and seating is limited. Most tables seat no more than 4, so my family of 5 rarely eats there together, but if one of us is missing, it’s great. Prices can be a touch higher than most, but certainly worth it.

This morning, I had a waffle sundae, a waffle topped generously with frozen yogurt, granola, strawberries, bananas and chocolate syrup, and some coffee. My son had the same, and the tab came to $21 without tip.

So now my story. Pete’s is why I bought my current house 15 years ago, and one of the main reasons I live in Midtown Ventura.

When I first moved to the area, I lived in Oxnard. It was in the middle of El Nino, and it rained so hard that school was cancelled-the only time in my career that I’d been at a school that had a weather related day off. Some teachers had still managed to slosh their way in, and I suggested breakfast to a small group, including a coach that I though was so good looking that I had a hard time looking at her, much less talking to her. She suggested Pete’s.

I followed in my car and parked on Main Street. While walking toward the restaurant through the rain, I found a $20 bill! Score! A day off and $20! Could the day get any better?

It turns out that it could. Though the electricity was off, Pete’s was still serving breakfast and inside I got to sit next to the good-looking coach. Of course, I couldn’t look at her and eat at the same time, but no matter.

The following weekend, my fiancé and I were going to breakfast, and I suggested Pete’s, We drove there from Oxnard, and I missed it on my first pass, necessitating the need to circle the block. We found an estate sale at a small house, and decided to take a look. The renter had just passed away, and the owners, who lived in Arkansas, were looking to sell. We were actually about to buy a condo in Oxnard, but the house was only a little bit more, and in a place where we actually would want to live. We got out of the condo, and bought the house where, with some modifications, we still live.

So Pete’s got me to where I live today. And they still serve a good breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment