Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Years Eve

I started this blog so that I would write. Like many bloggers, there's a frustrated novelist in me, and I'm trying to push that writer out. I've kept a journal since I was a child, and I've written occasional, unpublished short stories. I've written for UCLA's Daily Bruin in 1986, where I wrote book and record reviews. I wrote for Cal State Fullerton's Daily Titan in 1988, again writing record reviews. I tried some freelance articles, and actually sold one to the LA Times about my inlaws back in 2000, making me a big hit with my new family-and since I was paid, making me a professional writer. The hardest thing is getting the second piece sold, and I haven't been able to do that. I briefly was an unpaid columnist for the NISCA Review which I'm not sure is even printed anymore. Someday, when I grow up, I want to be a professional writer.

I do like writing, and I felt that writing about my adopted home town of Ventura would give me a variety of topics. Ventura is a pretty cool place. My family and I do some interesting things, and we've found some unusual things to do here.

Then I noticed that I actually enjoy fiddling with my guitars as much as I do playing them, so the adventures in fixing my vintage Crown electric and my Fame acoustic also become things to write about.

Now that I've been at this a while, there's other things that I want to write about. Like many bloggers out there, I have opinions that I want to share in public, but I don't want to burden my Facebook friends. So, here in the blogosphere, I have some anonimity, but I can still write.

My New Years Resolution, borrowed from a fellow blogger I met in the summer, is to simply publish once a week. I've been trying to keep to that since summer, but now, that is my goal. 52 posts by this time next year.

Let's see how I do.

If you read this, feel free to comment. It's good to get feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment