Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Simone's Coffee, Ventura

Simone's Coffee
7818 Telegraph
Ventura, CA

Hidden in the corner of the lot.
I'm sitting at a table in Simone's as I write this. In the background is coffeehouse music, acoustic guitars, tasteful drums, and vocals with harmonies, and the small space is painted coffeehouse brown. There are small tables, funky chairs and large windows which face out into the CVS parking lot here at the corner of Kimball and Telegraph. 

I spent $1.95 on a 16 oz. medium sized coffee, and it's not bad. Rich, full bodied without a bitter aftertaste, and most importantly, it is hot. Not because it's a cold day or anything, but because coffee brewed with hot water, (as opposed to warm water), tastes fuller and richer. I believe they use the right temperature for their coffee. 

I used to come here quite often 6 or 7 years ago, when my son was being tutored at a tutoring center around the corner, and I remember it being a friendly place then. Open until 8, this place will become a regular stop now that my daughter works out at Kimball pool.

Full Menu
They also serve ice cream and tea, and sell various knick-knacks. They have current issues of the LA Times and the Ventura County Star, as well as several magazines to thumb through. 

When I was in two weeks ago, the coffee machine was acting up, and they gave me an Americano for the same price. It was good, too.

Though I hate to mention Starbucks when talking about these independent places, Starbucks is a good reference. I'd say that the coffee here is at least as good, and the chairs and such are far more comfortable. 

Free wi-fi as well as data ports at almost every table for the coffee/computer crowd.

4/23/13 Update

I'm sipping their butterscotch toffee flavored coffee, and it's quite good. I asked who the roaster was, and the girl at the counter said it was a local woman, but she couldn't remember the name. Most of the small shops in this area use Santa Barbara Roast, which is okay but not great.


No comments:

Post a Comment