Sunday, August 11, 2013

Django's/El Sitio

Django's Coffee House
El Sitio
2271 North Ventura Ave
Ventura, CA 93001

Though there are several places I like to eat on the Avenues, (or the West End as the businesses now like to say), I don't often get out to the far end of the West End. But I had to drop my son off at Foster Park for cross country practice Saturday, and as I was wandering back home I stopped at Django's Coffee House.

Items for sale
I've been by Django's several times, but they are strictly a morning place, so I usually continue on to Ojai and Full o' Beans (see 6/9/13). But they were open and there appeared to be a small crowd, so I gave it a whirl.

The coffee had a nice, smooth taste, which I found much better than Santa Barbara Roast, the favored brew of most local coffeehouses, or Beacon Coffee, which I found at a few others. The shop is filled with gifts and bric a brac (I liked the Andy Warhol philosophy pencils), and most customers were greeted by order. A large picture of Django Reinhardt graces one wall, and the coffee bar is named in memoriam of a former patron. I talked for a few minutes with a barista, complimenting the coffee, which she then told me was from Moore Coffee, roasted around the corner

Dining area
More bric a brac
Sitting outside, I gazed out over the hillside, and marveled at how good the coffee actually was.

A picture of a breakfast burrito at El Sitio next door was tempting, but I resisted and instead got pan dulce from Panaderia Herrera, which I found to be a bit stale, and then went to the Boys and Girls Club thrift store and several yard sales. At 11 it was time to pick up my son.

After his cross country practice he was hungry, so now it was time for El Sitio. We parked by Pedals Tubes and Tires, where we leaned into the shop and checked out the new and used bicycles for sale. The proprietor chatted with us for a few minutes, and mentioned that he felt like he put on ten pounds since he started eating at El Sitio, an endorsement if I've ever heard one. On a side note, I think I'll be taking my ancient Trek hybrid in for a tune-up. He seemed like a pretty good guy, and the tune-up price is much better than Trek's in town.

Lunch
El Sitio looked neat and clean, and smelled good, a good sign for any eating establishment. I ordered the Carnitas tacos special, while my son ordered a quesadilla filled with mushrooms, onions and tomato. Both orders were good and filling, and though they are a bit skimpy with their chips, I'll certainly be back. Cuernavaca is still my go-to, default Mexican restaurant here in Ventura, but El Sitio is a solid back up.







No comments:

Post a Comment