Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ukulele Repair-the Kay


Great Logo!
I really do need to stop buying things. I'm not a particularly good luthier, but it is becoming an interesting hobby for me.
This Kay was purchased off the Goodwill website in the beginning of August, and arrived at my door for $41.50, including shipping. I wanted it for the off white plastic fretboard, and the "Kay" headstock design. I have Regals and Harmonys, so a Kay works for the completist in me.
There are no dates or distinguishing markings on the Kay. It may be from the 50's or 60's, it may be made in either Chicago or Japan. I think it appears to at least have a solid top, but I can't say for sure. Perhaps someone out there can tell from the pictures.
Old and New Tuning Machines
When it arrived, the Kay had no strings, and was missing a tuning peg. I ordered some colored pegs from China on eBay for $6, and got some red Aquila strings (also on eBay) because I thought they'd look sharp against the plastic fretboard.

There also appears to be some water damage between the soundhole and the end of the fretboard, as well as where the neck joint attaches to the body. 

Counter-Sink
The first thing that I needed to do was drill out the holes for the replacement tuning pegs. They were just a bit larger than the holes in the head of the uke, so using the largest bit that I had handy and my counter-sink, I slowly and carefully used my hand held Craftsman drill to make the holes. The new tuning pegs just barely fit.

Next, I noticed that the top was starting to separate. I broke out the Titebond and my clamps, and did my best to glue the top back on. It's not the greatest seal, but I think it's okay.
I cleaned the uke with Dunlop Guitar Polish, and strung up the red Aquila's, and took it out for a test strum. It seems to be one of my louder ukes, on par with even my Fluke, which is very cool. No one is going to mistake it for my dream ukelele, the $900 Koaloha Pineapple, but on the whole it isn't bad. Certainly worthy of the Sunday Ukelele jams. 
Final Product
With my broken Richter
I'm beginning to enjoy these old ukuleles. There's something satisfying about fixing them up and playing them again.

Please enjoy my soundbite, and make a comment!



Oct. 14, 2013 Update

I've been meaning to rerecord the video, and finally got around to it today. I have to remember to have a livelier expression when I'm recording myself playing an instrument. The things you have to think about when you make a video.
                                                                                                                                 
And now to mangle White Stripes. My apologies to Jack White.

I'm not sure why I'm sideways. Just go with it....


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               









No comments:

Post a Comment