Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Feast of St. Nicholas


Pajamas and the Feast of St. Nicholas 





German St. Nicolaas
Over 40 years ago, when I was a club swimmer, I knew some kids who's parents were from Germany. And just before Christmas, they'd put their shoes outside and get candy and nuts for the Feast of St. Nicholas. I understood about Santa Claus, and might have even been aware of Ol' St. Nick, but the idea of candy in the shoe sounded, well, sounded sweet. I think I asked my Mom about it, but got some answer about how it was a German thing.

Hungarian St. Nicholas
In college years later, I had a Hungarian girlfriend, and her family did the same thing-Put out shoes and get candy and some small gift thing.

When I married and had children, I decided that my family was going to start the tradition. I don't know if my kids will someday continue it, but if anyone is interested, here's how the Feast of St. Nicholas morphed in my house. Since my wife's family doesn't celebrate it, I've been able to play with how Feast is done.

My children and wife don't know the exact day of the Feast of St. Nicholas-if you're interested it's Dec. 6. Since none of my children's friends celebrate the day, I have the option of having the kids leave their shoes out on the eve of December 6 (that's Dec. 5 if you couldn't figure it out) or the night of Dec. 6. I forgot one year, and we left our shoes out Dec. 7. Everyone leaves their shoes out by their bedroom door, and everyone gets pajamas and some candy in the morning.

Why pajamas? Usually, it's cold and everyone's grown out of last year's winter pj's. No one is really all that excited by receiving pj's in general, but everything is better when given by St. Nicholas, and so even my teenager is still moderately excited by the aspect of new jammies. The stores are always having sales on pj's at the beginning of December, so it doesn't break the bank. We've been doing this for as long as the kids can remember, so now they expect it.

Victorian
Modern
Next year, we might mix it up and add KrampusSt. Nicholas's dark sidekick, who threatens to take the bad kids away or beat them with birch branches. It's supposed to be positive to remind the kids to be good, however. I'll have to figure it out-the best part of no one knowing is that I can do it any way I want. Then again, maybe not-why mess with family tradition?




Family traditions start any way you want them to.


No comments:

Post a Comment