Monday, August 25, 2014

Barrelhouse 101


Barrelhouse 101
545 E. Thompson
Ventura, CA 93001


Up until June, Barrelhouse 101 was a rather pleasant tan color that really didn't stand out much. Then in the two weeks time between my first and second visit, it turned into a Blockbuster Video. Or maybe, there was a close out on the custom Blockbuster Video paints, because suddenly Barrelhouse 101 turned blue and gold.

The first visit was a retirement party, and we arrived late so we didn't order food. I did have one of the zillions of beers that were on tap, and powered down plate after plate of their beer battered, donut size onion rings, which were really good. My wife saw several things that she wanted to try, so a few weeks latter, we were out without the kids and went back.

This time, we ordered food. She had the Steak Salad, while I went with Argentina Steak Sandwich. Both were good, though I wish I had more onion rings instead of the house made potato chips. But really, what the food is for is to balance out the beer selection, and the beer selection is where Barrelhouse 101 shines. 101 beers on tap, with a revolving line-up and most around $6, the choices almost overwhelm you when you walk in.


I had different beers each time I was in, and whatever I had was good, so it's more about knowing what type of beer you like. The food is heavy-even the steak salad-to balance the beer, and works well for that. It's a loud restaurant, so it the kind of place to come with friends or if you want to feel like you're out with friends. The wait staff was friendly, too.

So other than the whole Blockbuster thing, I'm looking forward to coming back with a few buddies and trying some more beer.





No comments:

Post a Comment