Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Copper Coffee Pot, Ventura

The pandemic has given me the excuse to walk pretty much everywhere within a five mile radius of my house, and my dog and I have done exactly that. I've seen some interesting things on my walks, including this morning's "Nature in Action" moment, as I watched a small hawk pin down a pigeon in the middle of Main Street. Two large crows flew overhead, also with an eye on the struggling bird. 

A burst of traffic was released by a green light a block away, and the hawk was forced to temporarily give up his prize in the face of oncoming cars. He flew atop a telephone pole, and my dog and I paused our walk and sat on a wall on the opposite corner to watch nature unfold. The pigeon flapped his wings, but was unable to leave the asphalt, and the two crows flew lower, but also could not land due to the traffic.

A small break in traffic caused the hawk to spread his wings, but he opted to stay where he was when a bus swerved to miss the struggling pigeon. More cars followed until a large, black pick-up truck absently crushed the wounded pigeon with a squishy pop. The hawk seemed to look disappointed in his now flattened meal, and then flew on

My dog and I had enough of natural selection in action, and continued our walk.

The Copper Coffee Pot is part of Valentino's Take-n-Bake Pizza, located right next door.  Both are situated on the corner of Main and Seaward, next to the fire station and Foster's Donut shop. They have the least expensive coffee of the coffeehouses in the neighborhood, using locally roasted Calioh Coffee, which this morning cost $2.25 for a 16 oz. cup. Interestingly, today's coffee was the best I've had there, a slightly smokey brew with a strong taste of chocolate, and I'm wondering if after a year they finally figured it out. When I set out to write this, I was going to say that I always found their coffee a little thin, without the full body of a good dark roast. Today that wasn't the case.

The CCP people are always nice to my dog, so that's why I go there. A few of the high school/college kids working there even know my dog by name-not me, but the dog. They do have several reasonably priced breakfast items, but I've never had any. The CCP shares a kitchen with Valentino's, and everything looks and smells good, but I'm usually at the start of my walk, and I just want a coffee to go. There is seating both outside and in, and usually a few locals hanging about.

Today I'd have to say it was one of the better cups of coffee in town, and now I'm wondering what gives-which one was the fluke? The good coffee of today or the average coffee of most days.


No comments:

Post a Comment