Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Copperfield's Gifts and Rarities

Copperfield's Gifts and Rarities
242 E. Main Street 
Ventura, CA 93001

In my younger years, I, like I'm sure many of you, often wondered where to buy a penny-farthing. Then, when Copperfield's came to town a few years back, I found the answer. There, in the display window, was a new penny-farthing, in the classic black of long ago. 

Penny-Farthing
And what else might a store with a with a vintage replica bicycle in the window be peddling to the person who has everything? 

Actually, there does seem to be a bit of everything. I've seen a theremin (think the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" or bad sci-fi films), a Ben-Hur film book and, of course, ray-guns. 

Ray-gun
There's funky cards, notebooks, shaving gear, antique books, caps, vintage watches, and old paintings. They have soap and candy, and wrapping paper and unique toys. There are working, manual typewriters and some great looking pens and stationary.

Where I feel that most gift shops have a decidedly feminine quality, Copperfield's feels masculine. There's a Victorian vibe, kind of steam punkish, and I'm always curious as to what will be there when I walk in. 

Shelves of things. Note the robots.
Unusual in this day and age, there's a website but nothing really on it at this time. Copperfield's also has a Facebook page, but again, it doesn't really do justice to the store.

I'm not doing the store justice either. Let's just say the Copperfield's, (along with Iron and Resin, which I'll write about another day), is a store that I always walk into when I'm in that part of town. There's always something there that I want, and I didn't know I wanted it until I walk in. Some things are expensive, but some really aren't, especially when you consider that most of it unique and difficult, if not impossible, to find anywhere else.

Across from the Mission, it is a truly unique place to shop.

Marching band drum
Toys





In the shop-sorry about being out of focus.
Note the belt driven ceiling fan.
Things.


No comments:

Post a Comment