Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Robeks


Robeks
4726 Telephone Rd
Telephone Road Plaza Shopping Center, Ventura, CA 93003 

I very rarely buy smoothies. It’s not that I don’t like them, because I really do, but more that they are really heavy in calories, and when you get down to it, I really should just eat an apple.

But I went for a 4 mile run-long for me-and after dinner on my way to a water polo scrimmage, the idea of having a smoothie seemed really good. As a rule, I feel that if I'm really craving something, I probably need it and should have it. I was going to go to one of the Mexican smoothie joints, but they were all in the opposite direction, and then I remembered the Robeks by Winco.

I pulled up a few minutes after 7 PM, but noticed the lights were off and the chairs on the inside were already put up. I walked to the door anyway, but didn’t knock or pull the handle. I just read the hours, which said closed at 7 PM. The two employees were busily cleaning, and having worked in retail for many years and knowing what it’s like to be waiting for that last customer, I just turned around and walked back to the car.

As I started the car, a girl ran outside and called to me, “We can still make you a smoothie!”

I was stunned. An owner might do that after closing, but the idea that one of the employees would run outside and offer was surprising and totally unexected.

I came back in, and ordered a Pina Colada, exactly what I was thinking about. It really was just what I was craving.

Blenders in the Grass is the locally owned chain that I’ll generally go to, Jamba Juice is okay, but if you’re in the area, the Robuks by the Winco will graciously open the door for you if they have just closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment