Saturday, October 12, 2013

Boba-licious, Camarillo


1775 E Daily Dr
Camarillo, CA 93010



My in-laws live in San Gabriel, where a large Asian population has brought a variety of foods from the Far East, and so I was already familiar with boba drinks. If you aren't familiar, the quick explanation is that boba drinks are smoothies or flavored teas with a little chewie balls made from cassava or tapioca on the bottom. 
Not to be racist, but I've never seen white people working in a boba shop, so I was caught off-guard by the crowd inside of Boba-Licious when my daughter and I walked in. All the seats were taken by a crowd of middle-school aged white boys, apparently studying something on God. A white woman who was most likely my age greeted my daughter and I with a large smile and asked us what we would like. 

In the San Gabriel boba shops, there are large groups of students, too, but Asian, and generally speaking in some Asian language. And they usually have cigarettes, as well.

Back to Camarillo. My daughter ordered watermelon-pear, and I went with coconut-pineapple, which the woman happily went off to make. She saw me looking about and trying to figure out what the connection of all the boys was, and said something along the lines of welcome to the Boy Scouts study session for duty to God badge. The boys were a bit fidgety, but generally on task, and she shouted questions over her shoulder while firing up the blenders for our drinks.
Each one was $4.50, a bit on the high side, and they weren't bad. Not particularly good, but not bad. Bobal-icious is one of those places that might stay open for ever or close tomorrow. I wouldn't make a special trip, nor say no if someone I was with suggested stopping there. Though the women working seemed inviting enough, the feel of the place was cold and sterile. 
They serve ramen and have Ramune sodas-the ones with the marble inside.

 Not bad. Just not very out of the ordinary, which, as one of the few purveyors of boba in the area, isn't actually a good thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment