Monday, April 14, 2014

Tacos de Barbacoa El Guero



Tacos de Barbacoa El Guero
Corner of Vineyard and Simon Way
(El Rio) Oxnard CA

I don't get to the El Rio part of Oxnard too often, and seldom am I there when I'm hungry, but on this particular day lunch was only two Taco Bell Doritos Tacos, which I enjoy but obviously don't think of as Mexican food, and I knew there'd be a few hours before dinner. 
This taco truck, parked in the parking lot of the Vecinos Market Indoor Swap Meet looked sufficiently clean, with a small line in front. So rather than find another Taco Bell, after getting my taxes done I swung in for two tacos, and two tacos only.

With 'barbacoa' being in the name, that seemed an obvious choice, along with the lengua (tongue) that I normally get. Taking a look at Wikipedia to see what 'barbacoa' actually is, I don't believe that their meat was cooked slowly in hole, nor do I believe it was made of whole sheep. I guess I could have asked, but my guess is that the meat was steamed cattle heads.

The barbacoa taco was fried in a tortilla, and cost slightly more than the other tacos. It was moist and flavorful, and quite good. The lengua was moist as well, but didn't have much flavor. It was covered in a red salsa that wasn't bad, but didn't blend with the meat. It was just on the meat. The grilled onions on the side were good, too, but I wasn't brave enough to try the pepper. 

So, two tacos for under $5, one good and one okay. If I have more time, I'll have to poke around the indoor swap meet, too. Not worth a special trip, but certainly eatable.




No comments:

Post a Comment