Monday, July 7, 2014

San Buenaventura State Beach

San Buenaventura State Beach

It's the beach, right? What's to write about?

Glad you asked. San Buenaventura State Beach is like most beaches in So. Cal. It has water, sand, bathrooms, showers and parking. Sometimes the water is warm, relative to when it's really cold, and sometimes it's really cold. There are lifeguards in the summer, and crowds on the weekend. Parking seems a bit pricey, especially since it's walking (a long walk, but walking) distance from the house.

Many years ago, before we remodeled, we were thinking about just moving to a bigger house, and my wife entertained the idea of moving to Camarillo. I said that I wouldn't move to Camarillo, that it reminded me of living in Downey, and I wanted to live close to the beach. She asked me why, since I never went to the beach anyway. I don't surf, and I don't like getting in the ocean particularly. I told her that I liked knowing it was there if I ever decided that I did want to go.

While my kids were in Junior Guards, a great program that I should probably write about at another point, I went daily. Since I was there anyway, I would usually go in my running clothes, and take a run. Then, I'd have my workout in for the day, and all was right with the world.

If you start at the Jolly Oyster, an oyster shack where they preach the gospel of fresh oysters to everyone willing to listen, and to those that aren't as well, and take the bike path all the way past the Fairgrounds to the Main Street Bridge, the distance round trip according to my iPhone is just a touch over 4 miles.

For the most part, it's all flat. Most of it is blacktop, which is easier on the feet than concrete, but there is a concrete section by the pier. There's no shade, so on a sunny day it can get warm, but it's still the beach, with plenty of water faucets, showers and bathrooms en route.

Looking South
From the Jolly Oyster and the Wheel Fun bike rental stand and the fancy bathrooms near it, heading north, you first pass the Lifeguard Headquarters, and Sanjon Road, where there is generally some free parking.

Continuing, the Pier and the businesses (see Beach House Tacos,  3/11/13) at the end come next. This is the spot where you'll most likely run into crowds. The playground on the north side of the pier is really nice. That's my iPhone photo of the pier at the top of the blog.

Looking South again.
Next is a slight uphill on the concrete boardwalk, past the Crown Royal Hotel and some condos. From this point to the mouth of the Ventura River is where the waves break for some nice surfing, and many people are preparing their boards, talking about the surf or just watching the long waves break.

Surfer's Point
This would be Surfer's Point in the parlance of the locals. In this particular area, there's erosion of the beach, and a few organizations are creating plans to, I dunno, I'm reluctant to say "restore" because erosion is part of the beach, too. But some of the erosion is due to the damming of the Ventura River, which effects the amount of silt coming from the inland. That lack of silt, as well as the various breakwaters nearby, effect the beach. I'm just going to leave it alone for now.

Estuary
Continuing brings you to the estuary at the mouth of the river. Many birds inhabit this area, and the trestles and freeway bridge add an interesting contrast to the view. The back of the Fairgrounds are opposite.

Back of Fairgrounds

Rounding the corner and crossing the train tracks takes you away from the beach and up the river trail. The bike path at this point runs all the way to Ojai, and it is the course for the different marathons that take place in Ventura (that I'd like to someday try).

As you head inland, there is a slight rise in elevation, which makes sense since if it dropped lower it would be below sea level. At Main Street, which makes a good turn around point, there is a free parking lot and some public art, like this large tuning fork or compass, depending on how I look at it. At the base is the pithy phrase, "Who Marks to leave a mark" (sic).

Heading back 
Even in the morning, there are a few people walking or jogging, as well as bicyclists, skateboarders and dogwalkers. Like every place in the United States these days, there are homeless who gather in spots to do a bit of panhandling. But, it's still the beach.

And running down the boardwalk beats working.














No comments:

Post a Comment