Monday, July 28, 2014

Ventiki

VenTiki
701 E. Main Street
Ventura, CA


With a collection of Aloha shirts that would fill a fair size Hawai'ian shirt shop and enough ukuleles to cover the ukulele section of Guitar Center, I believe that I do have some of that "Tiki Vibe" that is necessary to live the kitsch-ee lifestyle of the 50's Tiki Trader. And when VenTiki opened up last year, I knew that I wanted to try it out.

So why did it take a year?
A modest friend
A couple reasons. First, I just don't hit the bars that much. Second, and more importantly, my wife didn't want to go.
But after the Ventura ArtWalk, a pleasant Saturday evening of strolling Main Street and looking at art, we decided to give VenTiki a try. 

Most of the activity at VenTiki takes place on the lanai out front, and just at the edge of the business district, the lanai makes a great location to people watch and enjoy the sunset. I especially enjoyed the blue glass fire pit that was lit just after we sat down, a feature that I'd like to someday put in my own backyard. Bamboo tables and chairs placed under large umbrellas and an aluminum awning create a comfortable outdoor space.
Though we split the ahi tuna roll, and it wasn't bad, I wouldn't consider this a food place.Like most of Hawai'i, I don't think the food goes beyond edible-my apologies to those who think that Spam, eggs and rice are the pinnacle of tropical cuisine. It was an ahi tuna roll, no more, no less. The other food I saw coming out of the tiny kitchen, which I could look into from my seat, seemed the same way. 
But it's not the food you're here for. In the tradition of Trader Vic's, (quoted on the VenTiki website) VenTiki is:

"Dedicated to those merry souls who make drinking a pleasure, Who achieve contentedness long before capacity; Who, when they drink, prove able to carry it, enjoy it, and remain ladies and gentlemen."

VenTiki is a drinking bar, but in a good way. The drinks are a bit expensive, and also a bit strong. The idea is that you're going to be there awhile. Though my wife and I were at a table for two, the lanai is conducive to larger groups, and there were groups in attendance.

In hindsight, I wish I'd have tried a traditional tiki drink, which is generally rum based, and I will on my next visit. Instead, my wife and I both had the 'modern' tiki drinks. I had the 'Shrunken Head,' which is whiskey based, while the wife went with 'The Fuzz,' which is a hibiscus fused, tequila drink. Both were strong but good. Still, when you think of classic tiki drinks like a mai tai or a zombie, you're thinking of a combination of light and dark rums. Again, at about $10 a drink, they were on the high side.

Rumor is that VenTiki is going to expand, and though I'd like the cocktails to stay the same, a more adequate 'tapas' style kitchen would be a welcome addition. 

A great place to spend the afternoon.








No comments:

Post a Comment