Monday, November 24, 2014

Wok 'N' South Mongolian BBQ, Ventura

Wok 'N' South Mongolian BBQ
2835 E. Main Street
Ventura, CA  93003

The trick to eating at a Mongolian BBQ, or any buffet type restaurant for that matter, is to load up on the meat and expensive vegetables. Stay away from pasta, which is cheap and filling. 
I read that somewhere someplace, but that's how I approach all buffets, this one included. Wok-N-South Mongolian BBQ opened shortly after my family moved to Ventura, on the site of an old Chinese restaurant if memory serves, and I think the 4' Buddha that graces the door is leftover from those days. Back then, they'd send out coupons and my then small family would go pretty often. Everyone could make something that they'd want to eat.
Food Selection
The grill
My finished plate-note the lack of noodles!
It's pretty good and all you can eat, two things that I look for. However, as my kids get older, the prices go up. Currently, the cost is $12.49 for dinner (all you can eat), and $8.49 for lunch. (1trip). They serve beer and sake, as well as fountain sodas. The meals come with an egg drop soup, flat bread and fried sweet and sour won tons.

The same Asian couple has been there the whole time, and I thought they owned the restaurant until I looked at the website. They might be part owners or franchise owners-there are other Wok 'n' Souths in Camarillo and Thousand Oaks,  with (according to their website) the opportunities to open your very own Mongolian BBQ!
It's reasonably clean, friendly, and generally quick, though it does get crowded on weekends. The dining area does look a bit worn-I don't think it's been spruced up in at least the last ten years, but there generally ample seating with a couple of tv's. 
Like I said, it's a family favorite, and great when you have an appetite.








No comments:

Post a Comment