Friday, July 1, 2022

Jury Duty post Covid/Beltex Watch/Lucky Watch Repair

It's been years since I've had Jury Duty, and some things have changed. The most important thing for me is that there was a small coffee bar that served pretty good coffee when I was here before, and refills were a dollar. It seems to be gone, though the space here remains.

They do brew up Peets Coffee, which I'm okay with, but in the main cafeteria area.

Also, instead of filling the Jury room and having us stay in or around the courthouse all day, they bring in a morning group and an afternoon group.

I picked the morning of July 1st, figuring that no one would start anything before a three day weekend.

So I'm in the cafe, stalling on doing real work.

Beltex Watch

I've seen this type of watch before, and when it showed up on the Goodwill Auction site, I thought I'd make a bid. The listing said it was running, though untested, which I thought was a good sign.
 
It's a little beat up, but when I see them, they usually go for around $400, so I figured out what I was willing to pay, and made a bid.
 
It wasn't running when I got it, and they'd taken the back off and didn't put it back on. I was able to get the date hand to work, but it didn't wind and there's no ticking. I'm pretty happy with my watch guy here in town, Lucky Watch Repair, and I took it to him. 
 
A quick note about Lucky Watch. An Asian man with a thick accent, his shop is pretty beat up looking behind the Baskin Robbins on Main Street. But his prices seem fair, and he does good work. I've had him replace the movement of a Seiko UCLA Alumni Association watch that my Mom had bought me, service my Harlem Globetrotter watch, replace the batteries on my Zodiacs and Shinolas, get my cheap (though supposedly limited edition) Goofy and Donald Duck watches running, and repair my 20 year old Seiko Automatic Dive watch.  

But he looked at the Beltex and said, "I can't get parts."

I was counting on him, so that wasn't good.

So, now I need to shop online and send it to someone, and hope that I can get it repaired for a price that is worth my while.

I'll let you all know how it goes.






 


No comments:

Post a Comment