Sunday, July 3, 2022

The Summit

The Summit is a 60's era burger joint on Hwy 150 between Ojai and Santa Paula. It's a bit of a drive, but through some scenic California farmland and on a warm day, it's a great spot for a burger.

I think it's been about 15 years since I've eaten here, and I don't remember it being really worth the drive. But it was a beautiful day for top down driving, and I was passing at about lunch, so I thought it was time to give it another whirl.

I couldn't decide if I wanted a burger or patty melt, and asked the cute, small girl at the counter what she thought.

"Take the burger," she said. "It's simple."

I couldn't argue with the logic, so I went with a burger, fries and Dr. Pepper. It came out to about $15.

In-n-Out is the gold standard for basic burgers, if you're wondering what I compare to. And in comparison, this one wasn't bad. It was cooked about medium rare, unusual these days but actually how I prefer my burger. I wasn't asked how I like my burger, so if you're there you may want to ask how the patty will be prepared. It came with shredded lettuce, tomato, pickle, a sauce that I would guess is similar to 1000 island and cheese melted onto the meet. The fries were thick cut and a little under-done, but still edible. 

Small burger stands can be hit or miss, but I'd say this was a hit.

The patio area was also very nice, with a shaded table, and so it was the perfect space for a scenic drive and lunch. I wouldn't drive here just for the burger, but I would drive here just for the drive.






No comments:

Post a Comment