Sunday, May 12, 2013

DW's Country Cafe

DW's Country Cafe
(805) 639-9045

First, if you happen by, DW's does not do bail bonds-that's the place next door. Also, DW's is only open for breakfast and lunch.

DW's Country Cafe has been in this building for the last eight years, and before that the building was occupied by a steak house for 27 years. I ate at the steakhouse, the name of which escapes me, about 10 years ago, and remember it being okay. I'd never been to DW's, but there always seemed to be a few cars in the lot.

Though my kids don't understand the significance, I remember when places like DW's dotted the landscape, serving things like chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy-both on the menu here. Over the last 25 years or so, that type of family-owned dinner has faded away, to be replaced by Subways and Mexican restaurants. Not that I mind the Mexican places-tacos are one of the reasons I write this blog-but occasionally I'd like to have a good chicken fried steak, cholesterol be damned.

At some future point, I'll lament the absence of places that sell chicken and dumplings, chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy, but right now, back to DW's.

Yesterday morning, the boy and I finally visited DW's. The interior looks pretty much the same as it did when it was the steak house, with some brighter accent colors. Wagon wheel lanterns, country paintings and pictures, and naugahyde booths adorned the place, with a whiteboard of hand written specials beside the counter. Everyone was very friendly when we walked in, saying hello, asking how my son ran that morning (he was in his uniform) and complimenting his time. There was a pretty good crowd, but enough room for us to sit right down in a booth.

I ordered the Suzie Scramble and my boy the belgian waffle with eggs and bacon. Both came out quickly.

The Suzies special was cooked in butter, which, though bad for the cholesterol, was great for the flavor. The mushrooms and spinach both appeared to be fresh, and the hash browns were crisp without being over done. I tried a bite of my son's waffle, and it was light and fluffy, in spite of being buried in the extra whip cream my son had asked for. For reasons unclear to both of us, he ordered eggs sunny side up, not knowing what that meant, and bacon. The eggs came out as ordered. I thought the bacon could be crisper, but that's a personal thing.

 My biscuits and gravy came out last. The biscuit was nice and flakey, but I thought the gravy was a bit bland.

Along with a general friendliness, I want my coffee cup to be always full when I eat breakfast, which they did with a smile. Typical coffee shop coffee, though.

The meal was filling, and though I thought it was just a touch on the expensive side, I'd certainly eat here again.









4 comments:

  1. Rick, enjoyed your review..the name of the steakhouse was Ted's sizzlin steaks, I think. My husband is a cook at DW's and has improved their gravy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been in since, but I'll be sure to try the gravy again! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Ate there when it was "Ted`s" and still do. It was somewhere back in 95,96,or 97 when D W took it over. He didn`t change much because it was all good. Don`t go there anyway near as often as i used to and its just me but i was there this morning, Sun. Sep. 20-2015 at 0612,
    It`s still the same (very good), one of my favorites....Home made Corn-beef hash. Yumm and service was Great! Thanks Gail, an eleven year veteran there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corn-beef hash-another diner favorite. I'll have to go check that out. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete