Sunday, May 26, 2013

Willie's Barber Shop and Gino's Pizzeria, Santa Barbara

Willie's Barber Shop
12 W Figueroa St # A
Santa BarbaraCA 93101

Just so that I have something to post this week, I'd like to take a few minutes to talk about my barber, Gil, the son of Willie, the proprietor of Willie's Barber Shop in Santa Barbara. I happened across their shop 7 or 8 years ago, when my kids were at Zoo Camp in Santa Barbara, and I've been coming back on a regular basis ever since.

According to Gil, the shop has been there almost forever, with his dad being the second owner, and he's be there for 50 years. Gil generally cuts my hair, but Willie will once in a while. Both are talkers, and there's something charming to that, listening and chatting about sports and other current events. I've been taking my son there for a long time now, so they've watched him grow-and know his name, but not mine. Actually, I don't think I've ever introduced myself.

Gil remembers who I am though, so that's good. Basically, I go in, get my usual haircut of what's left of my hair, talk about stuff, and feel manly. Not a bad thing, and it's usually just about $20. The shop probably hasn't changed much at all since it opened, and I like that. It looks like a barber shop.

I wrote a Yelp review of it about a year ago, and said pretty much the same thing.

Gino's Pizzeria
12 W Figueroa
Santa Barbara, CA 93101





Today, I went to Gino's Pizzeria, which is right next door, for lunch after. They had a pizza, salad and soda combo for $5.50, which was pretty good-and great for the price. A big, thin sliced pizza served on a paper plate with a fresh ice berg lettuce salad and soda in a can, it's certainly enough for a light lunch. Then my son and I added Garlic Knots, which are small bread dough balls covered with garlic, olive oil and salt, and served with both a white sauce (similar to ranch dressing) and red sauce (cold pizza sauce), a dozen of which went for another $5. Lunch for two for under $20, which works will for me. And on an added note, the coke I had was ice cold, which I really appreciate.

Both places are regular haunts for me.

My picture of the outside didn't come out very well. I'll add some later.

No comments:

Post a Comment