Monday, May 20, 2013

La Tapatia II

La Tapatia II
1700 E. Thompson Blvd
Ventura

I've eaten at La Tapatia a couple of times, and my general feeling is-"not bad." That's not the same as saying good (When I want good, I head to Cuernavaca on the Avenues), but it isn't bad. Would I eat there again? Sure. Would I make it a regular stop? Well, not a regular stop, exactly....
So what is it then?
$5.50 Combo Plae
Well, it's cheap, with two taco, rice and beans combo plate coming in at $5.50. And it's close to the house, which is a plus. There's a pretty good pineapple salsa, too, and they bring warm chips to the table.
There always seems to be a crowd of Spanish speakers watching Spanish TV, which could mean almost anything in terms of the food. They serve beer, which could be good except that I generally don't order beer when I'm out eating with my kids. They also have Jarritos and Mexican Coke, which I do order with the kids.
Ceviche Tostada $4
The food? I had a couple of tacos and a ceviche tostada. Lots of meat in the tacos, lots of fish and avocado in the ceviche, and it was served fast by a friendly employee. Initially, I was feeling pretty good about it all until my daughter said that her stomach hurt. Did it hurt from the food? She had the same asada tacos that everyone else ate, so it would seem unlikely. She did feel better the next day, and I had no ill effects at all.
The tacos were  a touch on the dry side, but at a $1.50, they were okay. I liked the beans, and thought the rice was had good flavor. I had one of the hotter salsas on my ceviche tostada, and it left my lips a bit numb but still had a good taste. The chips were good and fresh, and there were fresh cut cucumbers at the salsa bar. The restaurant was bland looking, but not unclean.

So bottom line on La Tapatia II? I'd eat there again, but this wouldn't be my first choice.







No comments:

Post a Comment