Saturday, June 15, 2013

Church Tacos on the Avenues, Fountain of Life Apostolic Church

Church Tacos
1000 N. Ventura Ave.
Ventura CA 93001
1000 N. Ventura Ave.100100101010101010101010101100010101010101010101010101010101010101010101

A few weeks back I was driving down the Avenues, and noticed that one of the Churches was having a taco sale. Church tacos? Why not-more fun then a bake sale.

So as I was passing by tonight, I saw the hard-working church volunteers with their taco stand, and a big, hand painted sign saying "Tacos $1." Tacos for a dollar was more temptation than I could stand, and the church drew in another customer.

Walking up, I asked about what type of tacos they were serving. "Asada or chicken" was the answer, and after putting my order for two asada, I asked if there was someplace to wash my hands.

"Right inside the door, there, on the right hand side."The door was to the vestibule of the church, and several people were milling about a half hour in advance of their Friday worship. I washed quickly, and  back down the steps I watched the final preparation of my tacos.

"You guys here every weekend?" I asked the main cook as he took a hand-full of cooked asada and threw it on the grill. I wasn't sure how they prepared their meat to that point, but most places have their meat ready, and then grill it up to seal the juices and warm the meat.

"Just Fridays." He answered in a business-like way, focusing his attention on the grilling meat.

"Are you guys doing this all summer?"

"As long as the church is here, we'll be here." He handed me a plate of two tacos, and then opened a cooler with onions, cilantro, lemon and a red salsa.

Looking at my plate, I saw lots of meat for two street tacos, certainly more than I expected for a dollar. He opened a cooler with onions, cilantro, lemon and a red salsa that wasn't to hot, which I immediately added to my tacos.

I sat at a nearby table, and took a bite. Good flavor, not too greasy but not dry either, on the whole certainly worth more than the dollar I paid. And then I realized that I hadn't paid.

I finished the tacos, and handed the money guy three bucks, adding a dollar tip for their trouble. He looked at me a minute until I said that I hadn't paid.

I'll be back. Hard to go wrong for a buck, and since they were good, I'm going to be a regular. They also had drinks for a buck, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment