Friday, June 21, 2013

Petite Reve Café

Petite Reve Café
1124 S. Seaward Ave. Ste A
Ventura CA  93001

Next to Dukes on Seaward is the Petite Reve Café. Serving locally brewed Beacon Coffee at a price comparable to Starbucks, and baked goods made on the premisis, I’ve seen the place but like a typical local, never made it to the location in it’s three years of occupying the space. It was once Full of Beans, (See my 6/9/13 post) which now is on the road to Ojai.

As I type this, I’m sitting on their outside patio, listening to the conversation of a regular and the owner. The coffee is good, and the small chocolate chip cookie was very tasty, though at $1, I thought it was a little small. Louis Prima and other swing type music is playing in the background. No wifi here, so no laptop loiterers this morning-except me of course.

Kate, the owner, has struck up a conversation with every person who’s walked in, which I really like. She’s a local, so seems to know a little about everything happening in the area. This is a block off the water, making for a pleasant afternoon breeze. Local art by Terry Weurth is available for purchase on the walls, and is actually affordable.

Certainly a place I’ll come back to. I am a local, though, so I’ll never come here on a weekend when Seaward is packed with out-of-towners. Parking would be a bit of a hassle then. But here on the Friday of the Summer Solstice, sun shining with a little off shore breeze, it’s a great place to sit. Open 7 to 3 during the week, with longer weekend hours, and $ 0.50 refills.

One quick downside-after my second cup, I need to use the restroom, which they don’t have….




August 5, 2013 Update
My daughter and I rode up last week, and the sign on the door said that the cafe was closed! They still will take orders for cakes and such, but the cafe was closed and would be for a while. I hope they reopen soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment