Friday, June 28, 2013

Sandbox Coffeehouse

Sandbox Coffeehouse
204 E. Thompson
Ventura, CA 93001

I’m sitting in the Sandbox Coffeehouse as I write this, listening to a couple of older (meaning about my age) women talk about catching waves, drinking a cup of coffee and enjoying a peanut butter cookie. The women were discussing the proper place to catch waves out at the cove. In another part of the café, a group of older-than-that men are talking about retirement.

Just what the doctor ordered...
As I walked in, I bumped into my doctor, who said he was coming in for the first time because of the $1 cup of coffee sign out front. I’ve been here before, and came in quite a bit when my kids were doing Junior Guards (a great program) last summer. I kept meaning to write something about the Sandbox then, but never did-something about being a little miffed after being asked to pay $0.50 for the refill, even though the initial cup of coffee had only cost a dollar.

I didn't have my self-initiated post-a-week work ethic last year, and I didn't want to write anything bad, but that $0.50 thing had left a bad taste in my mouth. This summer, I'm in a more understanding mood about being asked to pay for refills, so I’m getting this up (free wifi here) as soon as I'm finished writing.

Since last year, the Sandbox changed the brand of coffee (now Caribbean Coffee Company, which I think might be my favorite of the Santa Barbara/Ventura coffee brewers) and they serve beer and wine.

This place is between the Fairgrounds and the Mission, on the corner of Thompson and Figueroa. Several people who were in were trying the breakfast bagel sandwiches, which looked pretty good, but I’m not that hungry and opted for a giant peanut cookie, from a local place called the Siblings Bakery.

Local photography and art adorn the walls, and according to the website, there's a monthly art show and Thursday night open mike night.

The cookie that I’m eating is good, and it’s hard to go wrong with a $1 cup of coffee. The girl at the counter is a roller derby queen, (though not with one of the local teams) so that's kind of cool too. The Sandbox serves sandwiches and salads as well.










No comments:

Post a Comment