Monday, March 24, 2014

Daily Grind, Santa Barbara

Daily Grind
2001 De La Vina
Santa Barbara, CA

2912 De La Vina
Santa Barbara, CA

I've been coming to the Daily Grind since I moved to Ventura and would find my way into Santa Barbara, shortly after they opened their door in the 90's. They have a wide variety of brewed coffees, the usual fancy coffee drinks, pastries and sandwiches. Though I've had some of the pastries, I generally just have a coffee whenever I'm driving through the area, and will detour there when I can. It's alway crowded, not that that's a bad thing, and everyone appears to be enjoying their coffee and food items. I've been meaning to write about them for some time because it's kind of a friendly, funky looking place (in the garage of an old Shell station-the Shell sign is up above the cash register) that exudes Santa Barbara character. Located on the corner of De La Vina and Mission, it's also across the street from another Santa Barbara icon, McConnell's Ice Cream, a great, premium ice cream that I've alluded to before.

Recently, I was driving to a meeting and had a few minutes to stop. As usual, there was a line and I had only a few minutes to get my coffee and be on my way. I took out my phone and quickly snapped the above picture, and then was trying to get a picture of the menu when a guy came out and started to wave. I was trying to line up my shot when I figured out what he was saying.

"No pictures. Hey, no pictures." It caught me a little off guard, and I mumbled something in return. I got in line and got my coffee, but it threw me off. So, remember, don't take pictures when you're there.

About the coffee.

They brew several types-I wasn't able to get a picture and it isn't on the website-which they keep in hot pots on the side. You pay at the register, and they'll hand you a cup. Generally, I'll try a few sips of several before making my decision, and then poor myself a cup. On this trip, the coffee I poured wasn't quite as hot as I'd've liked it-a pet peeve of mine, but it wasn't bad.

I'll continue to go back. I like to support local businesses when I can, but I won't take any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment