Thursday, March 13, 2014

Smogies and Ventura Water Store

Smogies Smog Shop
3940 Market Street
Ventura CA 93003

Ventura's Water Store
1455 S. Victoria Ave.
Ventura Ca

 At some point, you have to register your car, and when you do, every two years it needs a smog check. I'm not sure why I went to Smogies the first time, though I believe it was recommended by someone, and they got my car in and out quickly. I don't really know if it's more or less, but they seem to be quick, and every time I've been in, I've been engaged in some sort of unusual conversation, either by Smogie or his son.

The last time I was in, and I wish I'd taken a picture, but I saw that they had a Cremated Remains Disposer license by the counter. I was waiting for my car, and I had to ask. The son then explained to me that Smogie's was branching out.

He said that the cost of the equipment used for smog tests had been coming down, and more garages were able to handle smog checks. His dad had done some reading, and discovered that more people were being cremated. But once cremated, what does one do with the ashes? The brainstorm then hit, and Smogies can now also disperse your loved ones' remains.

I was caught off guard, and didn't think to ask the name of the business-I didn't think 'Smogie's Ashe Disposer,' was very appealing, and so if you need your ashes disposed, you'll have to call them yourself-clink the link above. The son said that they'll dispose of your loved ones out at sea, and video the process if you're unable to attend. Simply mail the remains to them, and they'll take care of the rest. Call them first, though.

I've never owned a business, and so the idea of small business diversification is novel to me, but it did make sense. If you need this type of service, or your car smogged, or both at the same time, Smogie's can handle it.

Ventura's Water Store also does more than it should, and actually was one of the first places I thought about when I started writing the blog. Along with selling purified water, they also have the best shaved ice in town, and it's just a buck.

I was first introduced to shaved ice by a girlfriend in Sacremento. I'd had snow cones before, but didn't care for them. Shaved ice is different. If the ice is shaved correctly, it should have texture similar to snow. When it is shaved that way, it holds the flavor of the syrup, instead of turning into one sugary colored fluid at the bottom. When I had shaved ice for the first time, in the middle of a Sacramento summer, I thought I was in heaven. And every trip to Hawaii, where shaved ice is an art form, I've always had at least one a day. 

The shaved ice at Ventura's Water Store is just about the right texture so it holds it's flavors pretty well. It's made from ice frozen from purified water. And, again, it's only a buck. They also have purified drinking water for $0.25 a gallon, distilled water, and will sterilize your bottle for a small fee. They offer water delivery and will sell or service your household soft water system..

But it's the shaved ice that my family goes for, especially on the hot days. And occasionally, the owner will be in and hit the kids with a snowball. In fact, I was in one day when everyone was hit with a snowball. If your driving by on a hot day, it's a bargain that I recommend.



No comments:

Post a Comment