Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pizza Rev, Oxnard

Pizza Rev
1831 Rose Ave
Oxnard, CA 93030

The idea seems like a good one, and I've been there a half dozen times already. It's simple, get your crust, pick your toppings, and away you go.

The thing I like about Pizza Rev is that I can add three anchovies. I like the saltiness of anchovy, but I can't handle a pizza full of them. At Pizza Rev, I ask for three anchovies, spread around the pizza. Then, I add all the other things that I like. The dining room looks like the dining area for those 'fast casual' places, meaning it's totally okay to sit in the dining room by myself reading. Most pizza places, it seems, cater to the big crowds sharing a pizza pie.

The pizza is a 9 inch thin crust. You can pick your sauce-I generally go with a white sauce-and mozzarella with a touch of feta cheese. Then you can go to town on the toppings. After your choices are complete, they slide the pizza into an open flame, stone pizza oven, bringing it to your table when finished.

Of course, they have the usual, pepperoni, olives, sausage, canadian bacon, pineapple, but they also have some fun stuff, like artichokes, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and last month's special, potatoes.

White sauce, mozzarella and feta cheese,
beef pepperoni, crispy bacon,
mushrooms, red onions, sun
dried tomato, olives, double garlic
artichoke hearts, and 3 anchovies
At $7.99, it's not bad for a small pizza with whatever you want. Add two bucks, and you can have one of the zillion soda options from the fancy soda machine.

So for me, it's great. My kids only seem to agree on canadian bacon and pineapple pizza, which is a big step up from the years of cheese and olive, but not the way I'd load a pizza up. To bring the family, it would defeat the purpose of going for pizza, which is to feed everyone for cheap. Figure $10 bucks a person, which starts to add up. And where I order all sorts of things, my kids most likely wouldn't venture beyond the basic.

Santinos, here in town, for instance, offers a family special (the best pizza deal in town) that has an extra large pizza, four salads and and drinks for just under $30, and Pizza Man Dan's has large specialty pizzas for about $22.

But, if you want something exotic that you don't have to share, Pizza Rev is a great choice, and when I feel like a pizza just the way I want it-with three anchovies-that's where I go.

They also serve salads, a dessert pizza, and have a kid's size meal.

They currently have seven locations around So Cal, with fourteen more about to open around the country soon. The Oxnard location opened a few months ago, and I think the chain has been around for just a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment