Thursday, March 28, 2013

Andria's Seafood Restaurant and Market


Andria's Seafood Restaurant and Market
Ventura Harbor Village

Outside the restaurant
I've eaten a lot of seafood this week. Not intentionally, but it just seems to have worked out that way. I was going to write about my favorite local sushi place, Seaward Sushi, but I really didn't take very good pictures. I may get back to that one in a few weeks.

I did get some decent pix at Andria's Seafood Restaurant and Market, and we ordered a wide variety of food, so that's what I'm writing about.

Andria's is one of those Ventura institutions, going back a quarter century. It shares a parking lot with the Ventura Harbor Comedy Club, (one of those places that I'm always meaning to go to), Milanos, (okay Italian, but not great), and Brophy Bros. (A little pricey, with a somewhat loud, party vibe, but good).

Andria's always has a line extending out the door. On particularly busy nights, they'll take your order while your still in line, and have you pay at the register. On this particular Saturday, my family and I ordered the clam chowder in the bread bowl, fish and chips and calamari and chips.

There are plenty of seafood items on the menu, and from memory, I know that they have a pretty good cole slaw. The charbroiled dinners always seem expensive to me, so I've never ordered. I've seen them on other tables, and thought that they looked pretty good.


The dining room and patio areas are clean, and unlike many seafood places doesn't seem to have any lingering fish smell. The have lots of free condiments, including a very tasty tarter sauce, a so-so cocktail sauce, and various mustards and ketchups. Andria's also serves beer and wine.

Dinner
Our number was called pretty quickly. Portions are large, so much so that my kids didn't finish their meals and took a large portion home. The fish batter is light and fluffy, without being oily. The calamari was a bit on the chewy side, but still pretty good. The sour dough bread was very good, and Andria's lightly toasts the top of the bread. The chowder was thick and creamy with a good taste.

There is also a fish market in the back, with catches from the boats out in the harbor. The fish is fresh and fairly priced.

Large portions and non-greasy fried fish. Good stuff.





No comments:

Post a Comment