Monday, March 11, 2013

Beach House Tacos

Beach House Tacos
668 Harbor Blvd.
Ventura Pier
Ventura, CA






It occurred to me that this blog is supposed to be about "Rick's Ventura," and I haven't written anything about Ventura since Lala's Panderia back in the second week of February. So since the wife and I headed to Beach House Tacos today on the Ventura Pier, I thought I'd get back to the originally stated mission of my blog-to talk about decent places to eat in Ventura.




Lunch
Beach House Tacos is run by the same people who run Eric Ericssons on the Pier. It shares the same casual, beachy vibe, and really, it isn't bad. Not great, mind you, but not bad. The food is more expensive then the real Mexican food that you'd find over on the Ventura Avenues or in Oxnard, and it isn't really Mexican like anyone in my family would make anyway. But it isn't overly expensive, either, and the view is pretty darn good.


I had the calamari burrito, which was calamari, rice, beans, lettuce and a mild salsa. My wife got the calamari taco and the Old California fish taco. The calamari taco came with green cabbage, avocado and a mild salsa, while the Old California had red cabbage, cherry tomatoes and a corn salsa. I also ordered some chips and salsa, and a couple of sodas, which came out to about $22.


Looking toward the ocean
Since it was a beautiful Sunday, warm and sunny with a mild breeze, the line was long and we were lucky to get a seat at one of the tables in the sunshine outside of their main, covered dining area. Beach House isn't the place to go if you're in a big rush, taking 20 minutes in line and over half an hour before our number was called. On the other hand, there are far worse places to wait for your meal than at the foot of the Ventura pier on a sunny day, which I reminded myself as my stomach grumbled.

The dining area
Beach House serves local microbrews and wine, and the patio looked like it could be an excellent place to knock back a couple of brews with a taco or two. The stand even has a sign with suggested micro brew and taco pairings, which I might have tried if I didn't have things to do after lunch. They also validate in the nearby parking garage, a definite plus when trying to find beach parking. I might come some Saturday or Sunday morning and try their breakfast, which is only served on the weekend, at some point in the future.

Again, if I want good, cheap Mexican food, their are several places on the Avenues that are better and cheaper. But none are on the beach, and that's what makes this place so special. Not bad, not too expensive, great views, and validated parking means that I'll be back.




No comments:

Post a Comment