Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tito's Tacos


I went to UCLA, and I after that I had a girlfriend who lived in Culver City, and why I never found Tito's Tacos back then confuses me a bit. Usually, if I was eating in that area, I would head to the Apple Pan, another place that I never found when I was at UCLA, but did find when I worked at the Nordstrom across the street. It wasn't until a few years back, when the parents of one of my water polo players raved about the place did I become curious, and not until this last summer that I went and found it.

First, it's cheap. Second, the portions are generous. Third, it's pretty good. 

Not great, mind you. Tacos are the crispy sort, with shredded beef, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce and a mild salsa. Burritos have beans, chili con carne and cheese. Everything comes with crispy chips and they throw it all into a box. It is good, though, and again, it is cheap. The red salsa is sweet tomatoes, the green salsa is a little spicier, with pickled chilies and I find that when I'm there I'll dip my chips into both. The restaurant is clean and always crowded with college kids, old folks and people from the neighborhood.

As a rule, I prefer street tacos, smaller with just meat, onions and cilantro on soft, corn tortillas. However, about a half dozen times in the last six months, I've been driving by and pulled in for a taco and burrito. With a soda, the whole thing comes out under $10, and I'm full for the drive back to Ventura.






 Tito's isn't a chain and has been around since the 50's. It's right off the 405, so if you're out on the Westside, it's as convenient as traffic allows. And I'm sure that I'll go back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment