Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chris & Pitts, 9243 Lakewood Blvd Downey, CA 90240 (562) 869-9069

Corner of Gallatin and Lakewood
50 is just around the corner for me, and as it looms closer, I find that I have a need to go look at things that I remember from my youth.

I lived in Downey from roughly 1977 to 1985, and while my family lived there, I thought we had really made it. We moved a few weeks after I started at Downey High School, moving from the very run down city of Bell, and the contrast was like night and day. I had spent a great deal of time in Downey before my family moved there, swimming on the Downey Dolphins swim club, but moving there was different. For one thing, I very rarely heard sirens. And another was there were some cool places to eat.

Onion Flower
One of the eating places I remember was Chris & Pitts. I don't remember going there often-I think the Sizzler was a cheaper, similar style place-but I do remember going. I also remember that we had their sauce at home most of the time, even if we didn't go often. I think it was just a bit expensive for us-or it could be that my Dad didn't like it, or possible a combination of both.

Cole Slaw and Salad
I thought they were all gone, and I hadn't even seen the sauce in some time. Then, about a year ago, I saw the sauce at the 99 Cent store. And when I was in Downey earlier this year, I saw the restaurant still where I remember it. Back in the 70's, they were all over the LA basin, but at this point, there are only three remaining, and all in old LA neighborhoods off the 605 Fwy-Bellflower and Whittier are the other places.

Chicken Soup
A brief Chris & Pitts history, according to the restaurant website, the sauce website and a framed article from the OC Register that was in the dining room. The restaurant opened in Lynwood in the 40's. The sauce proved popular, and the recipe was sold to another company, which continues to manufacture it. The restaurant expanded, but with the changing times shrunk back down to it's current three locations. Though the company that manufactures the sauce and the restaurant aren't directly connected, the restaurant still buys and uses from the manufacturer. Chris Pelonis, the original "Chris" of Chris & Pitts, still oversees the three remaining restaurants.

BBQ Baked Beans
So for the second time this school year, I was watching my team in Downey, this time Futbal in the CIF Finals. And as a bribe to my two older children who came with me, we went to lunch. Dark, wood panelling, naugahyde booths, and the smell of barbecue greeted us as we walked in, reminding me of restaurants I would see when watching 50's era Disney documentaries.

We were just a bit ahead of the lunch rush, but the restaurant slowly filled as we waited.

The menu was awesome! Like the rest of the place, like something straight out of the 50's, with big, color pictures of the food. Take a minute to follow the link to the website, the menu pictures are posted there.

Tiny, but tasty steak
Steak makes my son happy, so that's what he ordered. My daughter and I went with the Texas special sandwich, all of which came off the lunch special menu for $8.95, and including two sides. We also ordered the onion flower, a deep fried flower shaped sliced onion.



Great BBQ Sandwich

For what we paid, the steak was the right size, meaning pretty small. The sandwiches, however, were amazing! Large, with big chunks of beef and pork, and lots of Chris & Pitts sauce. The sides that we ordered were all good. I had the baked beans, which had a bit of a smokey flavor, and the cole slaw, which was crisp and fresh. My kids had the green salad, just ice burg lettuce and dressing, but it wasn't bad. My son also had the chicken, vegetable and rice soup, which was good. The onion flower was also good, served with C & P sauce and ranch dressing. Sometimes a deep fried onion type thing can be a bit oily, but this wasn't.



























The service was nothing special, but with good food at a reasonable price, it didn't have to be. My daughter brought some of her sandwich home, which my wife has been picking at all day, so that means it was pretty good. I'd certainly go there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment