Sunday, December 21, 2014

Goleta Coffee, Santa Barbara CA

Goleta Coffee Company
177 South Turnpike Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93111


At the heart of every coffee house is, of course, coffee. And since I started writing the blog and really paying attention to coffee is served, I've come up with some favorites. 
I must confess, as much as I hate to go to chain anythings-restaraunts, stores, whatever, I do like Starbucks. Not that the 800 lb. gorilla of coffee chains needs a plug in my little blog, but I know what I'm going to get going in, and it's consistent, reasonably priced and good. Not only that, they're everywhere-I think there are 8 stand alone shops in Ventura, and more at Vons, Target, etc. There are two Coffee Bean's and one Peet's here in Ventura as well, and I like them, but not as much as Starbucks. The independent coffee houses between here and Santa Barbara usually use Santa Barbara Roast, which I tend to find a bit acidic, or Beacon, which I like and is roasted here in town but not found in as many places.
I've stopped at the Goleta Coffee House a few times before, and have liked their coffee. On a recent Sunday afternoon, there was a crowd but a few seats available for what I was doing-drinking a cup of coffee and reading the paper. I was expecting the usual SB Roast, and was surprised by the smooth smokiness of the Mexican organic. While sitting, I saw several people order the sandwiches, which also looked quite good. There was ample seating up front, outside, and in a rear indoor area that had a fireplace blazing on the cool morning.
Goleta Coffee is reasonable close to UCSB, and what appeared to be several college students were sitting about with books and laptops open, studying-I believe finals were coming up-along with the many locals coming and going, chatting with one another. 
I asked, and discovered that Goleta Coffee used Peerless Coffee out of Oakland, and they keep several types brewed and ready for drinking. A small coffee, or any size of your own cup is $2. With a relaxed, locals favorite atmosphere, it was a good place to sit and have a cup.
No website, but there is a Facebook page. They do have wi-fi. 






No comments:

Post a Comment