Saturday, December 13, 2014

World Famous Franks truck

World Famous Franks
Ventura/Oxnard Area

The wife made corn dogs the other night. 
I don't like corn dogs, and since I had to pick up some kid from some practice or another-and the kids'll eat corn dogs, I left the house a little early headed toward Primos Tacos 805 (11/1/14), but on my way I saw World Famous Franks in front of Hypno Comics, which is open until 9 on Wednesdays.

There are actually two comic book stores within 10 blocks of my house, and both seem to do pretty good business. Hypno Comics is the newer of the two, with Ralph's Comic Corner being the larger, older store. Except for a brief time when I was living in San Luis Obispo when I would follow the exploits of Lobo, I was never much for comic books. I'd read the ones my cousins read back in the 60's, and Mad in the 70's, but that was it. I assume both comic book stores are good-they always seem friendly enough when I'm in-but I really can't say. 

Back to World Famous Franks. Loud music blasting as I pulled up, and one of the truckers was advising two women on both the grilled cheese and hot dogs. I didn't need any coaching up, and went straight for the Sinatra, an apple/garlic sausage with sour kraut, grilled onions, mustard, and interestingly, sliced apples, and a bottle of Coke, which set me back $11-more than I would have spent at Primos Tacos, but within the realm of truck food.

I walked into Hypno Comics while waiting, which was hoppin' at the 8 o'clock hour, with a group playing some sort of game in the back and browsers taking in the various comic books. I heard my name, and got my dog. That first bite was good. I wasn't sure how the apples would work against the sausage, but the sweet/tart of the apple against the spiciness of the sausage and deli mustard combined in an interesting and tasty way. On the whole, it wasn't bad. If there'd been a bag of chips, it would have been a pretty good meal. As it is, I'd eat there again-if I wanted a hot dog specifically.
I looked at the grilled cheese menu, too. Some interesting choices there, but nothing that screamed out to me on this visit.






No comments:

Post a Comment